Tuesday, October 14, 2008

From Subjects to Specific Goal--Homework 1 (HW1)

49582010 應外三 林昱君 Rebecca

Speech planning:

. Subject list:

A. Major or vocational interest: English translation, English teaching, English writing

B. Hobby or activity: listening to music, singing songs, traveling, seeing movies, finding good restaurants

C. Concern or issue: losing weight, singers, the economic recession, how to get jobs, important issues around the world

. Concept map

traveling

A. Who do I usually go traveling with?

My close friends, my family, my classmates

B. How do I plan the traveling route?

The budget, how many days, the purpose

C. What are the types of traveling?

Guided Tour, individual travel

D. When do I usually take a trip?

Summer vacation, winter vacation

E. Where do I prefer traveling most?

The U.S., Japan

. Audience analysis

A. Summary description of key audience characteristics: According to my observation, I find that most of the audience is in the similar age which is about 20~22 years old. They're all college students of NTPU, so they have similar educational background. There are more women than men in the class.

B. Subject-specific data:

1. The average audience member's knowledge of the subject is likely to be moderate limited because most of the audience had their own experience of traveling.

2. The average audience member's interest in this subject is likely to be high because they would know some new and interesting traveling experience which they've never had before.

3. The average audience member's attitude toward my subject is likely to be neutral because people would have different feeling toward traveling.

4. My initial credibility with the audience is likely to be low, because most of the audience doesn't know I have individual traveling experience.

. Selecting a topic

A. Write each of the topics that you checked in Activity 1A

1. Major or vocational interest: English translation, English teaching, English writing

2. Hobby or activity: listening to music, singing songs, traveling, seeing movies, finding good restaurants

3. Concern or issue: losing weight, singers, the economic recession, how to get jobs, important issues around the world

B. Using the information you compiled in Activity 1B, the audience analysis, compare each topic to your audience profile. Eliminate topics that seem less appropriate. Write each of the topics that remain.

1. Major or vocational interest: English translation

2. Hobby or activity: traveling, seeing movies, finding good restaurants

3. Concern or issue: losing weight, the economic recession, how to get jobs

C. Using the information you compiled in Activity 1C, your analysis of the setting for this speech, compare each of the remaining topics to your setting profile. Eliminate topics that seem less appropriate. Write each of the topics that remain.

1. Major or vocational interest: English translation

2. Hobby or activity: traveling

3. Concern or issue: how to get jobs

D. Each of the remaining topics is appropriate to your audience and setting; you can be confidant that you can develop an appropriate speech from any of these. So, from the topics that remain, select the one that you are most excited about sharing with others. My topic will be traveling.

. Writing a specific goal

Type of speech: informative

A. Write a draft of your general speech goal using a complete sentence that specifies the type of response you want from the audience.

I want my audience to have some common knowledge about traveling.

B. Revise the infinitive to make it reflect the specific audience response your desire.

I want my audience to know how to plan a tour.

C. Check the number of ideas expressed in the statement. If the statement contains more than one idea, select one and rewrite the statement.

I want my audience to know how to plan an individual travel.

D. Improve the statement so that it describes the precise focus of your speech as it relates to your intended audience.

I want my audience to know how to plan an individual travel to Osaka.

E. Write the final draft of the specific goal:

I want my audience to know how to plan an individual travel to Osaka in an effective way.

No comments: