Wednesday, October 15, 2008

From Subjects to Specific Goal--Homework 1 (HW1)

49582045 金心宇

I. Subject List

Major or vocational interest: translation, English teaching

Hobby or activity: music, movie, reading, planting, swimming, aerobic dance

Issue or concern: Christianity, fashion, biology, study aboard, travel

II. Concept map

Planting

A. How to plant?

1. sunlight

2. water

3. soil

B. What to plant in different seasons?

1. spring

2. summer

3. autumn

4. winter

C. What would planting brings?

1. clean air

2. beautiful environment

3. good mood

4. a sense of accomplishment

III. Analyze your audience

A. Summary description of key audience characteristics:

Most of my audience members are 20-year-old English majors in NTPU. They might come from middle-class families in different cities of Taiwan and most of them are Taiwanese, which means, we might have similar value, learning process and specialty.

B. Subject-specific Data

1. The average audience member's knowledge of the subject is likely to be limited because planting is not a school subject and young people seldom have the experience of planting.

2. The average audience member's interest in this subject is likely to be moderate because some young people consider planting to be a boring and troublesome task and few of them would like to spend time on planting.

3. The average audience member's attitude toward my subject is likely to be neutral because planting is a less controversial topic.

4. My initial credibility with the audience is likely to be low because I'm not a "green fingers."

C. Summary:

Most audience members don't know much about planting and have only moderate interest in this topic. Though, I want to introduce this activity to them. I will need to talk about the fascinating aspect of planting to maintain my audience's interest in the entire speech.

IV. Select a topic

A. Write each of the topics that you checked in Activity 1A.

Major or vocational interest: translation, English teaching

Hobby or activity: music, movie, reading, planting, swimming, aerobic dance

Issue or concern: Christianity, fashion, biology, study aboard, travel

B. Compare to the audience analysis and eliminate less appropriate topics.

Major or vocational interest: translation

Hobby or activity: movie, planting, swimming

Issue or concern: fashion, study aboard, travel

C. Compare to the setting analysis and eliminate less appropriate topics.

Major or vocational interest: translation

Hobby or activity: planting, swimming

Issue or concern: study aboard, travel

D. My topic will be planting.

VI. Specific goal

Type of speech: Informative

A. Write a draft of your general speech goal using a complete sentence that specifies the type of response you want from the audience.

→ I want my audience to be interested in planting and know basic knowledge about it.

B. Revise the infinitive to make it reflect the specific audience response you desire.

→ I want my audience to recognize the benefit planting would bring.

C. Check the number of ideas expressed in the statement. If the statement contains more than one idea, select one and rewrite the statement.

→ I want my audience to recognize planting is fun and easy.

D. Improve the statement so that it describes the precise focus of your speech as it relates to your intended audience.

→ I want my audience to recognize how to plant easily.

Write the final draft of the specific goal:

I want my audience to recognize the basic knowledge of planting.




No comments: